Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day or Armistice Day


I felt today's posting should start with an explanation for those who just might not know much about Veterans Day. As a child I remember my great aunts referring to it as Armistice Day, so I have heard it called both. With 9-1-1 just nine short years ago, and two wars in recent time, we Americans are very conscious of and rightfully pay attention to this day. Our local Legion Post had our streets blazing with almost 100 U.S Flags today, flying our colors proudly.

"Veterans Day is an annual United States holiday honoring military veterans. A federal holiday, it is observed on November 11. It is also celebrated as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day in other parts of the world, falling on November 11, the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)" Wikipedia





No comments:

Post a Comment