Thursday, September 2, 2010

This Lady is running to be a U.S. Senator....



As many of you may know, Linda McMahon, who is running from the Republican side of the ticket, for U.S. Senate from Connecticut, ventured out to the corner Wednesday. ( I am posting late as I was out of town Wednesday evening...another post coming...sorry) Anyways, her office called last week and said they would like to meet me at my place of business. I was hoping to get a big check from her campaign, which is alleged to have spent $27 million dollars thus far of HER OWN money on the campaign. Chew on that all you hourly- wage earners out there. (and even you non-hourly ones....$27 MILLION! With plans to spend $50!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

For the life of me, I wasn't sure why she wanted to talk to me. I am a registered member of the Democratic Party, but I do admit, I vote for whom I feel is the best qualified, and always will. Well, back on the matter at hand. In reality, she didn't really want to talk to me. She wanted to talk to Joe Heacox, Republican and head-honcho in The Sharon Pharmacy, one of the last privately-owned pharmacies in the state. And a good choice to talk to, on that I agree on. After I shook her hand, and actually did welcome her to Sharon (hey, I'm polite!), I was quickly blocked from her by all the town cronies in Sharon who didn't want me there. It was their 20 minutes with "the star" and they wanted her to themselves. I don't blame them I guess, but they really didn't need to literally stand between me and her. I mean, I wasn't gonna hit her with a chair, or ask her about health care, or how she thinks she is qualified to be a representative to the world as a senator in our congress.  Truly, I just would have liked to listen to her talk about things of importance. Things that matter. Like where our country is heading, jobs, or lack there of, etc.,etc. I am a polite person, and I would not be anything but to her.

But, I got handled today, and while there is still a long way to go till election day (8-10 weeks), and much will come out from BOTH parties, and we'll all have to do some sorting out before making a choice, I didn't care much for what happened to me today. Bet I remember that over the coming weeks.

Oh, and a personal note to a voice in the crowd today that they got Bob Loucks elected as our First Selectman. News flash. Bob Loucks got himself elected. His record. His service. His abilities. His desires. His approach. His caring. You really had very little to do with it. And another note. It wasn't a landslide victory. He won. Two good town guys running. The town would have won, either way. I'll step down now.

1 comment:

  1. Rick, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with McMahon's handlers (or her supporters in Sharon).
    You are absolutely correct about Bob. Seldom do party labels play much of a role in local politics in our state's small communities.
    As I am always fond of saying, "There is no Republican or Democratic way to fill a pothole."

    ReplyDelete