Sunday, September 12, 2010

Frog pads and more

If you travel from the west on Herrick Road, just before hitting Route 4, at the bottom of the hill, the marsh on the left is just about solid with lilly pads. Now, if there is a frog for every one of those pads,well, it's a miracle Merle & Debbie get any sleep! What a noisy place!


Growing up just a long home-run away from this location off Rt.4, this is some of my old "stomping grounds", so-to-speak. I broke my left collarbone coming down Herrick on my bike, long before they paved the east side of the hill. I hit a rock with my front tire, flew over the handlebar and well, it was my first attempt at solo flying. The flying was painless, but the landing, well, that stunk! Summers I swam at Hatch's pond, and winters we skated and tobogganed there as well. The picture with the tree is looking into the former Hatch pond. If not mistaken, this is all really growing in more and more. Perhaps in a hundred years or so the pond will be gone. Won't be my worry, whatever. And Merle & Debby's house.....I used to snowmobile there on Sundays when Jack "Flick" Anderson and Harold Jones were selling Polaris snowmobiles. And in the summer, Josh Lovell would collect the hay from there for the farm at Hatch's. But that too is ancient history....

No comments:

Post a Comment