Thursday, February 11, 2010

Concerning "The Who" and more..


This past Sunday, I too was part of the millions who watched the Super Bowl on tv. While some watch for the game, some the commercials and some the half-time entertainment, this year I was watching for all three.

I was cheering for the Colts in showing my allegiance to them for their signing of Donald Brown, a UConn football alum. In his rookie year, he had a good year offensively. When the playoffs roll around, the games tend to become "pass-oriented", especially when you have two quarterbacks the quality of Mr. Brees and Manning. Thus Mr. Brown was used sparingly. But he's a player, and I would expect nothing but greater things from him next year for Indy.

The commercials usually bring me much enjoyment, often more than the game. This year I cannot say that. While the ETrade kids probably were my favorite, I did enjoy a few others but they all seemed to lack something this year. If I see the Betty White being tackled commercial again...... I just didn't like it. Abe laying on his back and saying "that hurt" did get a bit of a snicker though....

But onto The Who. I grew up with the Who. I knew every single word to Tommy and many more of their songs. I think I saw them in the 70's but my memory is not to clear around then....I have every single version on LP of Tommy. And many other songs/albums too. But when Keith Moon died in '78', so much of what was The Who was changed. He, along with John Entwhistle were The Who. John E., alais "the Ox" was a bassist beyond. And back on Keith Moon. Did you know he was the basis for Animal on Sesame Street? The Who may have been on stage Sunday in Miami, but really, I want to know
who
was on stage? The "Magic Bus" ride is over. Behind Blue Eyes will and should live on.....but only in its original version....... as recorded years ago. Todays Who is tired and needs to call it quits.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's not like they could even play "Underture" anymore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick, Yes, it could have been better. Just look at the Stones. THey can still move! THey are in shape and Mick is still sexy ;-> IF you want to make a come back, get in shape!! The Who were out of shape and ran out of breathe on some songs. Just as with new groups, you have to be at the top of your game at any age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, welcome back to the 'sphere.
    The only commercial that really caught my attention was The Green Police. Very amusing.
    Agree about The Who. At one time Roger Daltrey had a phenomenal voice. Now Pete Townsend can't even be bothered to tuck in his shirt. That having been said, I still enjoyed their performance.

    ReplyDelete