Saturday, February 26, 2011

Pay no attention to the forecast....

`Spring is right around the corner! Here's the proof!












Sap, as far as this old raggie knows, only flows in late winter, early spring.....


-when I was a mere lad, I do remember my father and brother gathering and boiling sap for days I think....their rewards? Well, I imagine syrup, because that was a longggggg time ago! I just remember them doing it, not what their return was..... :)  And the sweetness of the sap...remember that very well! Talk about sugar water....yumm!







I do remember spigots (or taps if you will) made out of pieces of an old TV antennae, that were split open on one end to let the sap drip into the pails. No plastic hose lines to tanks back then. They had an old wood stove setup in the driveway as I recall. I bet my brother has a picture somewhere. That must have been about 1960, give or take....

Whatever, spring is almost here. Forget the forecast!

No comments:

Post a Comment