Tuesday, March 3, 2009

well I guess it roared, but it was'nt too fierce of a roar..

The first scheduled snow on Sunday never really happened in Sharon, or at least not where I was. The second one, the "big" one, did however. It started sometime after 11 pm and was pretty much over by 9am in Sharon as far as dropping snow. It did snow most all day but really a very insignificant amount after about 9AM. I'm not sure it was all the storm they said it would be, but then again, they actually nailed it pretty good around here as far as forecasting amounts. It seemed to be a bit of an elevation storm from those I have talked with. I had to have shoveled and plowed a good 8-9 inches of light snow up on my hill. I don't think there was that much here at the plaza. Maybe, but I don't think so. I heard some spots on the hills in Cornwall had over 14", which is only 8-10 miles away as that old crow flies. But, it closed schools yesterday, opened them late today and if you weren't already, I am sure most everyone is now thinking about enough already, lets warm things up around here!

But a topic for discussion sometime might be, don't we live in New England, where it snows, and people still continue there lives? What is with all these delayed openings at the area schools? Two hours for each one multiplied by however many we are now up to this year makes for a number of lost days for our teachers to teach. Snow days, after exhausting the allowed number, are made-up in June but these delays..... you don't get them back. A friend of mine has a saying for when a person needs to toughen up...he'll say, "buck up, buttercup".. Perhaps some of the area school bosses and probably a few parents need to hear his words. Its snow. Deal with it. It comes with the territory. Do they have this many delays in Vt. N.H.,Me., and out west where it really snows? Somehow, I doubt it....

And on top of that, there are at least five thousand pick-ups with plows running around here. Everyone must be plowed out. And nine out of ten of us have SUV's and 4-wheel drive autos. Get in em' and go!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on snow. It is still technically winter and this is New England where we get snow. Also, remember New England weather changes all the time.
    I guess that school systems tend to play it safe and call school or a delay for liability reasons. But also, many teachers have to drive a considerable distance to school. I remember many teachers from Sharon who had to drive from the Torrington area, which includes the wonderful Route 4.
    I doubt school kids in VT, NH or ME have as many delays or snowdays.
    Think of the flip side too. In the middle of a July heatwave is it really that hot? I doubt that a native Georgian will think 90 degree heat is all that bad, and they have hot, humid weather from April to October! I guess we are lucky to live in New England where we get a little dosage of each season. A few whopping snow storms, a couple of good heat waves in the summer, and we still get to enjoy spring and the colors of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering the same thing, Rick. I grew up in Detroit - where it's at least as cold and snowy as it is here - and we never had delays and only occasional snow days. Though I suppose if I lived up on one of the mountains and had to put my kid on one of those buses, I might feel differently?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily and Jenn... good points, thanks for chipping in! Jenn, I wasn't going to go with the "when I was a kid" bit, but heres a quick one. My Dad drove bus when I was a little snapper, and his route was up Knibloe to the top of Skiff Mtn and thru West Woods. In the winter, on a day when the sun is out in town, it can be snowing up there! Anyways, his bus had sanders that dropped sand in front of the rear tires, and he used them more than once. Seems like now we need asphalt showing before we move an inch. Oh well. And Emily. I agree 100%. We are lucky to live here, in this little corner of paradise. Now, if we only had a grocery store.................

    ReplyDelete