Sunday, April 10, 2011

A chance meeting?

More words today than photographs. Let me start with a thought. Met anyone recently, whom, you perhaps never thought you would meet, but then, you get the chance, and then suddenly, after meeting, you realize you may never meet that person again?


I'd like to share a story. It's my blog, and I said in the beginning a few years back, you never know what or where it make take me, or you. Lets see if I can get these thoughts out and what I got from them, and perhaps, maybe you too will get a message to take from it.


To start, last year, when the old food store was closed in Sharon (actually 19 months), one day I was sitting at my computer, playing surf the web. Back then, during those times, I spent a lot of time on the computer. You remember those days. When there was hardly was, so it seemed, any business in Sharon, and in particular the plaza. There were days my pick-up was the only vehicle in the plaza. But we lived through it, Thank God, and thank you, those who helped keep us going. But that isn't why I write today. Today I am writing about meeting a friend through the computer. And today, I got to actually meet this person, in person. And what a privilege it was.


Last winter, as I said, I was killing hours on the web, and in all honesty I am not sure how I got there, probably by Googling™ northwest Connecticut, or Connecticut photos, faith and church, anyways, I ended up on a blog, entitled The Strength of Faith. It is maintained by a young lady from Kent, Ct. named Sarah Weaver. What caught my eye immediately, was (A) her photography and (B) her photos of food! So as things would have it, I spent some time and read about Sarah Weaver, and her love for the Lord, and her love for good healthy food. A smart lady! I visited her site a few more times in those following days, enjoyed it, and then well, I lost it. Forgot all about it quite honestly.


Skip ahead, to just a few months back, and well, I ended up on her site again. I had been away a long time, and there were all kinds of photos that I found interesting, so I am sure I drove her "hit count" up a bunch for a few days, as I caught up a bit. Now, I didn't read all of her blog entries, as I was so far behind,but would just hit highlights and zip on through. But then, something funny happened. Sarah announced she was getting her first church, in Rehoboth, Massachussets and she was going to have her Ordainment Service in Kent, at the Kent Congo Church. Hmmm. Being the senior deacon in my church here in Sharon, I gave it a quick "I should go, congratulate her, thank her for her blog, say nice things about it and wish her well at her first church". But I don't know Sarah, and wouldn't that all be a bit weird to her?


A week passed, and then somewhere along there, Sarah wrote in her blog about the Reverend Terry Ryan, whom happens to be my Pastor, and whom I think very highly of. I told Terry the next time I saw him about my connection with this blog I followed, from a lady in Kent, whom I had  presumed he had worked with. He was surprised by my knowing her, excited to hear of how I knew her ( I didn't really--I just followed her blog) and said he knew her Mom, who is the Pastor of the Kent Congregational Church!


Well, Terry said he was going to have a part in her upcoming service, and with that, I decided I now had my chance to go and meet this young lady, wish her well, and feel good about doing it. In the coming weeks, I continued to follow her blog, and finally responded to a question or statement she made, and that was my first introduction to her. I was happy to say Hi, and happy to say how much I enjoyed her blog and the effect that it usually had on me (made me hungry)! I told her of my blog, and that was it, until today.


Today I went with my Pastor to her Ordainment Service. The sanctuary was full, with friends from Kent, from college, from Georgia, where she went to divinity school, and some folks traveled down from Rehoboth to be with her as well. And many members of UCC Litchfield North association were there, being part of the service. It was a really nice service, and I was glad I attended. As I left, I finally met her outside, and shook hands, introduced myself, expressed my very best wishes on her special day, and just like that it was over. There was half a church full of people behind me so I couldn't take more of her time. I didn't get to say things like how her blog had brought sunshine on long days in a quiet store. How her quiet testimony to our Lord was inspiring, and judging by all the followers she has, that God must be happy with her and the things she is doing with her life.


So, today I met a blogger, a new Minister in service to the Lord, whom I may never meet again. Thats the point of my entry today. Don't let life pass you bye. Don't, if you have the opportunity, not do something because it may feel a bit weird to you. If its legit, and right, and you can do it, don't let it pass. Make the effort. Go out for dinner with that special someone. Take a day off and do something special. Go to a show. Catch a movie. Call an old friend. Better yet, go see an old friend. And perhaps, be like me, and make a new friend. Introduce yourself to someone you've seen for ever, but never got the nerve to say hi. Just may be the best moment in your life, or theirs....


Sarah, it was a pleasure to meet you and your Mom. I wish I had time to have met your husband, but Terry and I needed to head home. Continued success to you, and I'll keep dropping in to see your blog from time to time. And those food shots, the close-ups....just remember hungry people are out here, looking at them........  :)

1 comment:

  1. Rick I am catching up on my blog reading - it was so wonderful to meet you! I so appreciate you coming and being apart of such a wonderful day.

    I'll keep posting those mouth watering food photos! :)

    ReplyDelete