Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sharon's Hotchkiss Library


One of our town's long-running venues is The Hotchkiss Library, located at 10 Upper Main Street. It has been serving the good folks of Sharon for over 100 years now. How fortunate we are to have such a fine institution here in our town. I was pleasantly surprised the other day to see that a nice new sign has been added recently out front. I remember back not too long ago thinking they needed to replace their old one, and what-do-you-know, one appears! I admit, its probably been there for a bit, and I just am now noticing it, but, whatever, it looks good! Especially in the snow late last week.

I enjoyed that they had some lighted trees during the recent holiday season showing thru the upstairs windows in the evenings. I also understand there have been some good changes done inside recently that have been praised by many. I need to get in and take a look around and see for myself. While I myself don't use the library often, I recognize its value to our town. My kids used it greatly during their school years in Sharon, and we all as a family pitch-in each year to help with its summer fund-raising projects.

I know an expansion to make it more assessable to the handicapped as well as just a more user-friendly place for all has been in the works for some time now, and is meeting with some firm resistance. I hope all parties can come to a reasonable agreement and that the needed changes can hopefully come sooner than later.

Check out their website at http://www.hotchkisslibrary.org/

1 comment: